The Parker Grey Show,

Want to talk about Croatia, PETA or anything not completely Goran related? Here's the place. Be forewarned, some talk may become political, please respect the views of others as you would ask them to respect yours.

Moderators: Zone3120, AzizalSaqr, Trainerjen, Nina, jenwhaley, MarcySue

The Parker Grey Show,

Postby SAN » Mon Jan 08, 2007 6:58 pm

GV through someone else's eyes...

I thought this was an interesting little 'take' on GV - http://www.popgurls.com/article_show.php3?id=441

Scroll down to Question 8.
SAN

Postby AzizalSaqr » Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:57 pm

Written by Michelle..http://www.popgurls.com/article_show.php3?id=388

The Parker Grey Show, Kristen Buckley
The back of the book: "When she isn't waiting tables, Parker Grey doesn't have much to do except watch reruns of her favorite medical drama and fantasize about its star. In fact, sometimes she feels like her life is one big TV show--one she'd channel-surf right past. But now Parker's roommate, Lil, has disappeared. Knowing she's a lot better at watching drama than creating it, Parker turns to TV for help. Inspired by the sexy star of La Femme Nikita, she takes to the streets of Manhattan to find Lil. And to start writing a whole new script for her life."

That's the description? What the hell made you buy this book? Why should I buy this book?

Because you should support the arts. Because someone, somewhere, put their heart and soul into it. Because it's not exactly easy to make it as a writer these days, with publishers not giving the needed publicity and when people actually read, they only read what Oprah tells them to, and when you stop to think about it if you gave up that morning latte for 3 or 4 days, you've got yourself a new paperback. So you're supporting someone who put a lot of work into a dream and you're helping keep the dream alive and exercising your brain all while giving up calories. Everybody wins!

Also on a more superficial level...people, she takes to the streets like Nikita. I think anyone who knows me, or Amy, understands that I just couldn't let that go. Granted, Nikita's no Davenport, but if that wasn't a screaming neon sign to pick up the book, I have no idea what is.

Okay. And how did that work out for you?

I freakin' adored this book. Parker has a quirk or tick of pretty much everyone I know. She watches one show obsessively, in this case a thinly veiled substitute for ER. She is in love with an actor on said show, a thinly veiled Goran Visnjic. She comforts a friend who is so forlorn over the cancellation of LFN that she doesn't want cheese on her egg sandwich by assuring her that no matter what the final episode implied, Michael will return for Nikita and they will live happily ever after. (A scene, by the way, that played a little too true to life and made me laugh out loud in the airport, having talked a few friends of my own off the ledge from time to time.) She has no direction in life, having currently quit music, her lifelong pursuit. She waitresses. She's broke. She skims the till to make ends meet. She's a pathological liar because she can't bear to tell people that she's really a failed musician. She has a mother who is worried about her sense of direction and sends her clips of successful women Parker's age. She buys art supplies in a vain attempt to find something that will give her meaning. She has a best friend who she loves but who drives her up the fucking wall at times. She lives for free in a fantastic loft in Manhattan-okay, that one not so much. And the ending that is so blatantly Mary Sue, I have had to write my own ending in my head, but that's a minor bitch and it only really taints the last chapter or so and is easily ignored. (Then again I also hated the ending to the last book in the Narnia series and wrote my own ending to that, literally in black ink on the last page where I scratched out everything that came before it, and that's considered a classic, so take my opinion with a grain of salt.) But the rest-it's hilarious, well written and a fast read. Pick it up.
AzizalSaqr
Site Admin

Re: The Parker Grey Show,

Postby Zone3120 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:45 pm

I've just noticed this topic but better late than never. :oops: :lol: I think what Kristen Buckley says about Goran is very cute. :) And the book sounds fun. Have any of you read it? :)
"I love what I'm doing. But if I'd become a bus driver like my father, I'd be exactly the same as I am now, but with a little worse English." - Goran Višnjić
Zone3120

Postby Trainerjen » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:57 pm

I haven't, and I'm a book whore. :lol: I haven't come across it at the book store, and that's probably why. :P

Another book that's similar to that one (so it seems) is "Getting Over Jack Wagner". I about DIED laughing when I saw that book in B&N. :P I was IN LOVE with Jack in Jr. High, and I just had to buy that book. It was completely entertaining. :lol:

I'm sure if I wrote a book I'd mention all of my "crushes" (Goran especially. ;)). I LOVE it when that sort of thing is brought up in literature. :P
"He Seems Depressed...." "He's European, that's his baseline."

"The X chromosome carries three times as much genetic information as the Y. Do you think that's why men are simpler?"~Abby Lockhart
Trainerjen

Postby AzizalSaqr » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:55 pm

I haven't found a copy either, but, a few years ago, I found these two books by Gwen Hunter, Betrayal, and False Truths, I wrote the author after reading the first, because I recognized one of her male characters as an Adrian Paul look-a-like. She was so impressed that she wrote me back to say I was the first person to have noticed. It was pretty funny.

JD
AzizalSaqr
Site Admin

Return to Goran Related