Croatian Cuisine The Modern Way...Enjoy!

Want to talk about Croatia, PETA or anything not completely Goran related? Here's the place. Be forewarned, some talk may become political, please respect the views of others as you would ask them to respect yours.

Moderators: Zone3120, AzizalSaqr, Trainerjen, Nina, jenwhaley, MarcySue

Croatian Cuisine The Modern Way...Enjoy!

Postby AzizalSaqr » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:06 pm

A friend in Zagreb presented me with a Croatian cookbook so I thought I would share some recipes in honor of Goran...how about one a week unless you decide you want them more frequently.

Here's the first:

I'm starting with a pate as I found it to be served for almost every occassion...

Pileca pasteta (chicken pate)

Ingredients

750 g. (2 lb) chicken breast, with bones
300 g. (12 oz.) chicken liver
150 g. (5 oz.) butter
3 eggs
pepper and salt
ground nutmeg
4 gherkins
1 soup spoon Vegeta (Vegeta is a blend of dehydrated vegetables, aromatic herbs, spices and salt which, because of it's neutral characteristics and composition of it's tastes, is eminently suitable for use in all cuisines the world over.}

Wash and drain meat. After removing gall bladder, clean the liver. Hard biol the eggs. Cream the butter. Cutter the gherkins into small cubes. Lightly oil a longish tin. Sprinkle chicken meat and liver with salt and Vegeta and saute over moderate heat with 1 oz. of warmed butter. Add a few drops of luke-warm water if necessary. When sauteed, remove the liver and continue to saute the meat until cooked. Retain the resulting juices for later. Cool the meat, liver, and eggs and then mince them together in a blender. Add the mixture to the creamed butter together with the juices from the frying pan, diced gherkins, peppe and a pince of ground nutmeg. Mix well, adding more spices to taste. Fill prepared tin with pate and place in a refrigerator for a few hours to chill.

To serve, bring to table on a serving plate, garnished with mayonnaise, long thin strips of gherkin and lettice leaves.

Prepared in this way, well chilled pate can be garnished and gift wrapped to make an ideal present
AzizalSaqr
Site Admin

Postby AzizalSaqr » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:12 pm

So, I was killing time tonight and stumbled onto an odd little article on the Sata24 site which made mention of Goran in it. As it seems to deal with a restaurant in LA I thought I would post it and we'll see how much of a translation we can manage on it. Technically it would be considered a public appearance...so I figured I'd drop it here...

objavljeno 20.05.2005. Vedran Obućina

Large ćevapi with kajmak ­usred Amerike

U balkanskoj hrani uživali su Rade Šerbedžija i Goran Višnjić

Ne uživaju samo balkanski narodi u ćevapima i kajmaku. Američki listovi "Los Angeles Times" i "LA Weekly" objavili su priču o ekskluzivnom restoranu "Aroma cafe" koji se nalazi u Los Angelesu. Restoran nudi odličnu hranu, koja Amerikancima zvuči egzotično, a nama uobičajeno. Tako se gosti mogu upozanti s ćevapima, sarmom, pitom, kajmakom, lukmirom, hurmašicama, tufahijama i tako dalje. Vlasnici elitnog restorana su Amra i Adem Slipac koji u ovom objektu na Overland aveniji nudi isključivo tradicionalnu bosansku hranu, a na našem jeziku napisan je i jelovnik.

Ponosni vlasnici tvrde da za goste ne treba biti iznenađenja ako, dok uživaju u "Large ćevapi with kajmak", za stolom vide filmske zvijezde iz Bosne i Hercegovine, Srbije i Hrvatske. Česti gosti su Rade Šerbedžija, Goran Višnjić, Karlo Malden, a u bosanskoj kuhinji uživali su i Kemal Monteno i Ljubiša Samardžić.
AzizalSaqr
Site Admin

Postby AzizalSaqr » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:13 pm

I found some more on the restaurant for those who might be interested, this is not a translation of the article. This is from a site called Low-End Theory's L.A. Restaurants.

Aroma Cafe
Just tried Aroma Cafe, the family-run Bosnian standout in a Westside mini-mall (2350 Overland south of Pico, east side). My friend Julia was once a restaurant critic in Prague – where bad restaurants and money-laundering go hand in hand? - and has actually spent time in Bosnia. I wanted to propagate her expert knowledge, because the meal we had was particularly fine. Some Bosnian classics:

- Burek are charmingly intestine-shaped phyllo pastries with a variety of fillings (shades of cheung fun / “intestine”-like rice noodles at dim sum). Cheese and spinach were flaky and delicious.

- Cevapi [“ch-”] are a delightful firm-textured minced sausage kebab distinguished by their dainty size and charry grilled exterior. Apparently the Bosnian equivalent to streetside tacos, with the same addictive quality – cevapi sandwich on excellent house bread has got to be a winner. Pljeskavica are patty-ized kebabs with a different ratio of grilled exterior : juicy interior. Shish kebab is much like Persian lula kebab but a little drier than say, Raffi’s Platonic ideal.

- Two stupendous housemade dips of note. Kajmak is churny soured cream in which one can stand a spoon, a miracle of controlled spoilage. Ajvar is a bright red paprika, pepper and eggplant concoction. Ask for these!

- Kefir is a yoghurt drink, the native beverage ala Persian dough or Armenian taan, sans mint.

- Stuffed cabbage contains rice and ground meat as usual. This version is substantially tastier than most, not only is it served with a healthy dollop of kajmak but there is a contrast between sour leaf and moist filling that beats the squishy Eastern European stereotype. Stuffed pepper is also exemplary.

- Rotating dessert selection guarantees future visit, as the waitress’ favourite krempita (creamy pastry thing) was unavailable. Baklava is well above average and strudel-style apple pie is fine.

This is just the sort of restaurant I love, it’s priced for the people and the quality is uncompromising.
AzizalSaqr
Site Admin

Postby AzizalSaqr » Sun Oct 22, 2006 8:13 pm

Kemal Monteno and Goran at the restaurant...
AzizalSaqr
Site Admin

Postby AzizalSaqr » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:36 am

Vineyard pork chops
Kotlet s trsja

Ingredients

8 small pork chops
60 g. (2 oz) prunes
150g (5 oz) black grapes
30 g (1 oz) cornflour
60 g (2 oz) parsley root
20 g (2/3 oz celeriac
100 ml (4 fl oz) Zagorje red wine
2 tablespoons pork fat or lard
1 tablespoon Vegeta
salt and pepper

Dice the root vegetables. Soak the prunes for a while and then remove the stones. Wash and dry the grapes. Sprinkle the pork chops with salt, roll them in cornflour and fry in hot oil on both sides. Add the root vegetables, add pepper and Vegeta and continue cooking over a moderate heat, adding a little water as required. When the chops are done, remove and place them on a heated plate and keep warm. Strain the sauce. Then pop the grapes into the oil so the skins peel off easily. Add the grapes to the sauce, boil briefly and pour over the chops.

Broad, flat noodles are an ideal compliment to this tastky dish from Zagorje.
AzizalSaqr
Site Admin

Postby AzizalSaqr » Sun Dec 10, 2006 11:40 am

Looking for some groceries? Thy Balkan Pearls, Fine Imported Foods from the Balkans and...

http://www.balkanbuy.com/shop/

The purpose of Balkan Pearls is to make accessible quality products that are not generally available outside of Yugoslavia, Bosnia Herzegovina, Croatia, Hungary, Bulgaria, Slovenia, Poland and other countries. We also strive to provide excellent service and information to help you enjoy the authentic flavor of Europe at your home. We are located in Burlington, Vermont - The green Mountain State!. Please enjoy our web site and do not hesitate to give us a call or send us an e-mail if you have any questions at all.
AzizalSaqr
Site Admin

Postby Luciana_Brasil » Mon Dec 11, 2006 4:18 pm

AzizalSaqr wrote:Vineyard pork chops
Kotlet s trsja

Ingredients

8 small pork chops
60 g. (2 oz) prunes
150g (5 oz) black grapes
30 g (1 oz) cornflour
60 g (2 oz) parsley root
20 g (2/3 oz celeriac
100 ml (4 fl oz) Zagorje red wine
2 tablespoons pork fat or lard
1 tablespoon Vegeta
salt and pepper

Sounds delicious... But don't know where to buy half of the ingredients... :roll: Or, for that matter, what are they....
Luciana - Brasil]
Luciana_Brasil

Return to Goran Related